Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Spilling the Beans

Finding out that I was knocked up was...ummmm....shocking and not shocking.  Not SHOCKING like "oh my god, how did this happen?!?!" because we did know how 2 Become 1 (Spice Girls, shout out!). 

It was shocking because when Bud lost his job in April we decided to put this little project on hold, for obvious reasons.  I found out on my lunch break on Friday, June 1st, 5 days after my 30th Birthday celebration that I'm SO SO SO glad I did early thanks to Jan and Allyson (June 8th was a little more subdued than any 30th birthday should be). 


Look at me...I'm sippin' chugging a Mai Tai and pregnant!  Sorry, lil baby! 
Wind-blown hair courtesy of Tropical Storm Beryl.

Ladies, I do NOT recommend finding out something like this on your lunch break.  Going back to work sucked to say the least.

We spent the next day digesting the information and Bud assuring me that it's ok.  It's not that I wasn't happy, I was very happy, but completely overwhelmed.  By Sunday, Bud was dying to tell our parents.  We went to my parents' house first where I completely flubbed the whole deal.  We hung out for about 20 minutes until my mom said something about Juno.  For some reason, I responded like this:

Me:  Juno’s having a great weekend.  She found out she’s going to be a big sister.

Mom:  Huh? (total look of confusion)

Me:  Juno is going to be a big sister (while tearing up and smiling like a weirdo)

Mom:  What are you talking about?  I don’t get it.  Is Uma pregnant? (Let’s point out, that would make Juno an aunt)

Me:  Nooooo, Uma’s not pregnant, but someone else is…

Mom:  (mouth open, jumps off the couch)  Really?  REALLY?  REALLLLLLLYYYYY????

Dad:  What’s going on?

Annnnnnnnnnd scene. I guess I should have been more direct, but whatever.  They got the news eventually.  I knew my mom was desperate to be a grandma, but I really didn’t anticipate how happy my dad would be.  They both were incredibly supportive, happy, and excited.  Who could ask for anything more?

We left PVB and met Bud's parents for dinner at Bonefish Grill.  We chatted for a few minutes and then Bud said, "So, you ready for a 4th grandchild?"  Clearly, he's much better at this than I am.  They were thrilled and very sweet.

That night, my mom was about to die unless Allyson knew RIGHT THAT MINUTE.  Luckily, I got her on the phone and was able to tell her before mom exploded. :)  Both of Bud's sisters were coming in town within the next few weeks so Bud and I decided to tell them face to face.

Some people wait to tell their friends until 12 weeks to clear the "danger zone," but at a minimum I think most people wait until they've at least had the pregnancy confirmed by a doctor.  Not me....I didn't have that option.  Before we could even see the doctor was Bud's 30th birthday party on June 16th.  There was no way I could get away with drinking water and acting lame so we went ahead and told our friends who were there that night.  That was at 7 weeks pregnant...definitely early, but that just goes to show you that superstitions are dumb.

I don't regret telling people early.  Thankfully, everything has worked out and there was no reason to wait, but even if something had gone wrong Bud and I would have wanted and needed our family and friends to know what was going on with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment