Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

38 weeks...2 to go!


Week: 38…9 and a half months??  Is that a real thing?

Size (according to Babycenter.com):  A leek (6.9 lbs and 19.5 inches) Haha, this is a bit off.  More on that below.

Total Weight gain:  20 lbs…whoa.  Seems like I’ve been consistently gaining 2 pounds per week lately which is not enjoyable.  #thisbabybetterbecute 

Physically, I'm feeling:  About the same as last week or maybe a little better.  I think I’m just getting used to being uncomfortable.  Knowing that the finish line is so close helps a lot. 

The Braxton Hicks contractions are happening more and more frequently.  They used to only happen if I was doing something that I shouldn't be doing, but now I’ll get them even if I’m just laying on the couch.  I’m hoping that’s my body’s way of getting ready for game day.

Emotionally, I'm feeling:  Mostly excited and ready.  I survived another week at the office which drug on PAINFULLY slow.  This week is a short one (thanks, MLK) and I have a couple out of the office meetings scheduled so I’m hoping it goes a little faster.

Sleep:  Good this week.  Yay!  Of course I was still waking up 2-3 times per night, but I fell asleep easily and went back to sleep pretty well too.  A good night’s sleep makes such a huge difference.

Baby's Movement:  About the same as last week.  He’s definitely running out of room so I don’t feel the big dramatic movements that I used to, but I’ll feel him squirming a few times a day and occasionally some hiccups.  My doctors do not seem concerned about the decreased movement so I’m *trying* not to worry about it.  Easier said than done. 

What I'm nervous about:   Oh Lord….I might be having a monster-baby.  I had a sonogram at my doctor’s appointment this week so they could estimate the baby’s weight and see his position.  Bud was able to come to this appointment and I’m so glad he was there.  The good news is that he’s perfectly healthy and in a great position for his birthday.  The bad other news is that he’s a monster.  OK, maybe monster is a bit harsh, but he’s “quite large.”  They guestimated that he was 7 lbs 13 ozs on Wednesday and could put on another 1-2 lbs before he’s born.  That puts him in the 90th percentile.  I was 7 lbs 13 ozs when I was born and Bud was 8 lbs so I was always assuming this baby would be right around there.  Guess not.

The doctor said that sonogram guestimates over-estimate 80% of the time so there’s a good chance he won’t be too monsterish.

What I'm excited about:  There’s nothing that makes me happier than a sonogram and hearing that all is well with my little guy.  Like I've said before, pregnancy is some stressful shit so any reassurance is welcome.

Anything else?:  First, I have to say that Bud and I really like my doctor.  I trust him completely and really don’t think that he’d recommend something simply for his own convenience.  That being said, Dr. Rebenack already brought up the two words that I DID NOT want to hear…induction and c-section.  He was basically just putting them out there as options now that we know we’re dealing with a monster-baby baby in the 90th percentile.  At this point he’s not recommending either, but made it clear that he’d be very happy if I went into labor naturally any day now.  In fact, he told me that’s my ‘homework’ this week.  I’ll do my best, doc, but I don’t think that’s happening.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! i have been thinking of you so much lately!! I am sending loving, gentle labor vibes your way! I know you were hoping for a Feb babe but a 8lb Jan babe sounds a little, um, easier than a 12lb Feb babe! :) Love you and thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete