Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

30 weeks...10 to go!

Week: 30!

Size (according to Babycenter.com):  A head of cabbage – 15 inches and 3 pounds which would be the biggest head of cabbage the world has ever seen. 

Total Weight gain:  No gain, 7 lbs.  I’m confused…on a typical year I gain at least 5 lbs Thanksgiving week. 

Physically, I'm feeling:  Pretty good, but a little sore.  I think the babe has found my ribs and they are really, really fun to play with.  I had a doctor’s appointment this week and everything looks great.  The heartbeat was a solid 150 bpm and I’m measuring right on target.

Emotionally, I'm feeling:  Thankful.  Cheesy as it sounds Thanksgiving week always makes me pause and realize how insanely fortunate we are.  This week I’m especially thankful for my family, my amazing friends, and all of our health.  Nothing else really matters.  

Sleep:  Honestly, not great, but I’m trying so hard not to bitch all the time.  However, I don’t want to read this next time I’m knocked up and make it sound like everything was roses and cheery at 30 weeks pregnant.

I’m just pretty uncomfortable and sore so sleep is tough.  Only a few more weeks to go.  I’ll live.

Baby's Movement:  I wish I knew how to insert a gif because this is where I’d put a gif of The Bride from Kill Bill in the Crazy 88s scene. 

If you haven't seen this movie, please don't read my blog anymore until you do. 

My little guy is really starting to enjoy himself.  No complaints from me…I’ll take a lot of movement over a little any day.  I asked the doctor if I’m supposed to be “counting kicks” because that’s what a lot of websites and apps say I should be doing, but it’s not something she’s concerned about.  She told me that she only asks her high-risk patients to count.  Sounds good to me…one less thing to worry about. 

What I'm nervous about:   No pregnancy worries this week, but I’m starting to obsessively stress about what happens after the babe is here.  It’s easy to say, “I have 10 weeks to go! Yay!” But that’s far, far from the end.  I’m mostly worried about going back to work and finding the right place for the babe.  I know I’m going to take at least the full 12 weeks guaranteed by FMLA which will mean he’ll be 3 months when I go back to work because I plan to work until I’m literally on the way to the hospital.  If I’m being honest, in a perfect world I could work part time, but keep my benefits with no out of town responsibilities.  Unfortunately, that doesn’t look like it’s an option.

I haven’t actually started looking at daycares (other than online research) so maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised and find something that seems prefect and is in my price range.  Right?

So right now, if I had to rank my preferences for May 2013, they’d look like this:

1.       Working part-time at the Alzheimer’s Association (with benefits and w/o out of town work) and an in-home nanny that I’m totally in love with.
2.      Working part-time at the Alzheimer’s Association (with benefits and w/o out of town work) and a nearby daycare that I’m totally in love with.
3.      Staying at home full-time
4.      Working full-time at the Alzheimer’s Association (w/o out of town work) and an in-home nanny that I’m totally in love with.
5.      Working full-time at the Alzheimer’s Association (w/o out of town work) and a nearby daycare that I’m totally in love with.

What I'm excited about:  Bud and I are getting closer and closer to choosing a name.  If you ask Bud we’ve chosen one and he LOVES it, but I’m still on the fence.  I’m indecisive about small decisions like where to go for lunch so it’s not too surprising that this is dragging out.  I like the first name that Bud has fallen in love with, but am tripped up a bit on the middle name.  Do kids really need two names?  That seems excessive.

Anything else?:  My sweet grandma fell last weekend and broke her pelvis on the left side.  This has been my mom’s biggest fear for the past few years and I hate, hate, hate that it’s happened.  Nannie spent a few nights in the hospital and now is at a rehabilitation hospital.  Early on there were scary terms thrown around like “bedridden for the rest of her life,” but we are now hopeful that she’ll recover enough that she’ll be able to move into her new place in assisted living although she’ll most likely be in a wheelchair for good.  I feel so bad for her because she must be in so much pain and her spirits are just not that high.  I want her to fight, work hard, and get better, but she’s 93 and so, so weak.  Even before her injury I couldn’t see her doing the amount of physical therapy that’s expected of her now.  It’s going to be a long road.  So if you’re the praying type, please say a prayer.  And if you’re the sending good vibes type, please send her good vibes.  More than anything she needs motivation.  I’m hoping and praying that meeting this little boy will give her that.

2 comments:

  1. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE that you're doing this blog? XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part time is so lovely and ideal and so impossible to get them to agree to. I SO hope it works out for you. Also, for the first 16 months or so we had Maren in an in-home daycare two days a week (friend of a friend). She was unlicensed and we paid her cash. She had two school-aged boys of her own and one little boy a year older than Maren. It worked out SUPER GREAT. Start asking around and you might find something like that! Be open and remember that no arrangements are final and forever. We use grandparents and school and everything and it does create flexible children!

    ReplyDelete